Friday, August 15, 2008

SK said that the birthday that's coming up for me is my Golden Birthday.

That is, I'm going to turn 18 on the 18th.

And so I've been thinking about my birthday, actually, and how I'd like to celebrate it. Before he came up with this today, actually, but it seems an apt time to put it down now, since he mentioned it.

And I imagine my 18th birthday to be like this:

I'd tell my parents that I'm going out on my birthday - the day before or something. Then I'd wake up at 6 a.m. when everyone's still asleep, dress in some comfortable clothes, leave my phone at home and go out.

I'm not sure what I'd do exactly... But I know I'd walk. Maybe around the whole of Singapore. Exploring, maybe. Eating when I'm hungry. Drinking when I'm thirsty. Resting when I'm tired of walking. Perhaps find certain secluded spots to just sit by myself. Study, maybe, since Lit Paper 5 would be in a few days' time.

And I'd just think. Contemplate. Pray. Worship. Just spend the whole day with myself. And with God. No distractions, nothing.

Then I'd come home at 12 midnight, and when my parents ask me where I'd been, I'd answer vaguely, not explaining anything. And when my family wishes me happy birthday, I'd say my birthday has passed.

Then I'd go and shower, go to my room, check my phone, scroll through all the messages, put my phone down, and go to sleep.

***

It dawned on me, just a little while back, how soon I'll be gaining my independence. I calculate that I'd have 4 - 11 months [if I get enlisted in July - which I don't think I'll be. Or rather, I'm really hoping not] to NS.

Once I'm in NS, I think my parents would more or less leave me alone unless I do something outrageously rebellious - but it's not like I'd see them a lot, anyway.

Then two years and I'm done with NS, and I'd be 20. And if I get my way, I'd be flying off overseas to do my university. God willing, of course.

That's why my J2 life would be the last real time for me to be under my parents... After this, I think they'll let me go.

I wonder if I'd be able to survive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home