Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Y'know, perhaps I'm not being clear about certain things.

I do say that there are many things which are not very permanent. Friendships, namely.

See, thing is, I acknowledge that. I guess, to me, acknowledging that is maturity. That you don't believe in some happy ever-after fairy-tale ending in which everyone is delirious with joy and there's no more pain and suffering [I take that to mean in this life. Heaven would be an entirely different matter.].

I acknowledge that - but that does not mean I treat anyone differently. Yes, I still hang out with people, and I still pursue friendships, and I still have people in my life whom I consider good friends. Just because something will not last forever does not mean you should do nothing about it. As of now, it exists. After that - who knows? No one would. I'm just reminding myself here that this might not last forever - not that it won't last forever. And even if it doesn't, so what? That friendship would have many things - things that you pick up, learn, even change, in a bid to improve yourself. Is that for nothing? Of course, one could argue that that's the practical side of it. Do memories then mean nothing? Does the absence of a person cause you to discount everything that the both of you have gone through together just because he/she isn't there anymore?

I remember a poem I once wrote in Sec 3. The last stanza went something like this:

'Out of side, out of mind'
Do those words make you blue?
Or 'Absence makes the heart grow fonder'
Which do you think is true?

A bit childish, I guess - but the point is, the times that one spends with friends cannot merely be discarded as something insignificant just because the person/people cease to be there. It also does not make the emotions that go along with it - be it happiness, joy, or even sadness - any less just because the person isn't physically beside you. At this point of time in my life, I still can remember all the fun times I had with my Sec school friends - all the times spent together, whether it was to comfort or to rejoice over anything, just because we don't see each other does not mean that these feelings have somehow suddenly become reduced in some way.

Heh. Seems like everyone's contemplating friendships now. Again I feel the need to reiterate my questions on why friendships must be so mechancial. Kinda demeans the whole value of friendship, if you think value can be placed on a friendship.

Love is love. There's a reason why it's 'much love' and not 'many loves'; Love cannot be counted or measured. Then why calculate??? Why think that someone's not giving back enough, or as much as you? People love differently, in different ways. Just because the way someone loves is not the same as the way you love does not mean that person does not love you.

Love. Don't think God bothered to count the costs.

"Got any problem? Wiki it!"
"Does Wiki do counselling?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home