Saturday, July 26, 2008

There isn't anything wrong with liking Broadway/musicals, jazz, or even classical music.

It's just that it's so rare finding people who actually like these things.

Listening to "The Lady Is A Tramp" now by Frank Sinatra, I can discern a difference between jazz now and jazz then.

Jazz then has this "olden" quality to it... That hits me whenever I hear a song like that, or hear the rumbling notes of the double-bass play its familiar jazzy chords... Whenever the brassy sounds of the trumpets and trombones blast out those notes... The quick, swift piano with the chords perfectly in sync with the double-bass - or not, even. The whole works. It throws me back into this era which I've never experienced before, but wished I'd experienced before... It's so... I don't know, it's really - je ne sais quoi!

I don't know if I'm making sense here to anyone, but I think true music gets you like that. That feeling is as though you want to pull back to that kind of era... Men wearing hats, and suits, along the roads... Like a black-and-white movie. Sometimes, I really, really wish I were born in that era. With the greatest of those jazz singers. Maybe even singing with them. That'd be awesome, actually.

People [i.e. my sister] have accused me of 'acting sophisticated' - but I don't. Not really. Jazz from the past can really transport you back in time, and it's just so - almost nostalgic, actually. The songs get me somehow! Why, I don't know! I wish I could place a finger on what I'm feeling and why I'm feeling like that, but I just can't! I don't know why I enjoy it so much, almost long for those days!

Is it Old Hollywood?

Maybe, but I just - argh! I hate it when I can't come up with anything after analyzing myself.

Classical music gets me that way too, but jazz really gets me like no other genre... Okay, Brodaway does somewhat too, but... Gosh, I don't know.

Just an interesting viewpoint from yours truly.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://vtyupdr.com]sbWavZNiFsEKIjZ[/url] , WLJGLkIQSVMYZi , http://pyfnknfrtw.com

February 19, 2013 at 2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home